Followers

Sunday 25 October 2015

When Social Media gets a bit too much.....

I think I've made it plain as day that I love the internet.  My love of Pinterest has exceeded "obsession" levels and of course, having a YouTube channel along with this blog and my Craft Blog shows that I definitely have a (un)healthy love for Social Media.  Social Media is a fantastic thing for someone like me who is creative and likes to keep up to date with what is happening in the Crafting Community, what new products are hitting the shelves and whether or not Vintage Grunge and Shabby Chic are still the "in" thing.  However, I don't have Twitter or Facebook or any of the other platforms and I will tell you why......

Sometimes Social Media gets so overwhelming and the constant bombardment of ideas, techniques, new products and styles can all get a little, well, to put it succinctly.....a bit.....AHHHHHHHHH!!  Don't get me wrong, I love that I can type a few key words into Pinterest and suddenly all these amazing links come up, showing me thousands of ways to do the things that I'm searching for.  Plus, being kept up to date with the latest craze in the crafting world is just mind boggling to me.  It used to be that you knew something was in because suddenly your local shop had a little stand at the front of their shop showing you the newest big thing that had just hit the shelves.  But now?  Well, now we know the newest big branded items are coming before they even hit the shelves and that is all down to the wonderful world of the Internet and Social Media.  Flip me, its so new and so current that you can even pre-order items months in advanced before they are even off the factory conveyor belt.  It's just crazy.

And this is where it gets a little bit too "Ahhhhhhhh" for me.  I am a bit ditsy sometimes......I know, hard to believe.  I have a bit of a sieve brain sometimes.  Don't get me wrong, I do have a brain cell or two.  I'm actually quite intelligent.......not to blow my own trumpet or anything (toot, toot, toot, tooooot!) but I do forget things sometimes.  Oh come on, I'm a blonde!  I have to be able to blame some of my bad habits on that surely?!  So, there I'll be, sitting watching a tutorial on YouTube and someone is showing a fabulous technique or using a new product that is out on the crafting market.  And I think to myself "Ohhhhhhhhhhh I could make that."  So, I go online and buy the new items or products that I need.  "Brilliant", I think to myself.  So, I have watched the video, made my mind up what I want to make for myself and have the items I need ordered.  I'll soon have everything I need to make this wonderful project.

Ohhhhh but wait!  I then see something else interesting on the interwebs.  And I think, "Yes, I can make that".  But I don't have the time just there and then to make it, so maybe I'll go into my craft room and get a wee box ready with everything I need to make that project.  So I'll go around my room collecting the craft products I need to make it and leave it neatly sitting on my desk, all ready for when I get the time to make the new idea.

THEN.........the Postie comes the following week with my new products.  I excitedly open up my order, admire all the lovely new crafty bits and bobs that have just arrived and then it happens.......

"What did I get this stuff for again?" I think to myself.

 Yes, that is right......I've forgotten the project that I wanted to make......already!  I only ordered the damn stuff less that a week ago.  But of course, by this time I have had a good 3-5 days of absorbing new ideas and techniques from the interwebs and my brain is over flowing with new projects now.  So I will go into my craft room, hoping I will suddenly be hit with inspiration or at least the idea that I originally bought these new items for.  And then I notice a little box sitting with all the wee bits and bobs that I collected to make another project with......AND...you've guessed it, I've forgotten what I wanted to make with those items too.  My head is literally like a sieve.  I have seen so many things on Pinterest and YouTube of things I want to make.  So if I don't have the items, I order the things I need and then because I have filled my noggin with more inspiration in the interim, by the time the new items get here, I have forgotten what it was I wanted to make!

Does anyone else do this?  Or is it just me?  Thank goodness I bookbind, because I need to keep notes of everything, all the time.  Therefore I have handmade books in every corner of my household with notes for this, that and the other, lol. I've even got notes on my phone to remind me of things I want to make.  I can't be the only person in the world that does these things, can I?  See?  Is it any wonder Social Media can get overwhelming.  Thank goodness I don't (yet) bother with Twitter or Facebook or whatever else is the new "in" thing to become a member of.  Because quite frankly, my head would be frazzled and there I'd be, sitting in the middle of my craft room, coming down with craft products and have no idea what it was I wanted to make.  So many ideas.......just not enough RAM in my brain to keep it all there, teehee.  Ohhhhh, maybe I need to upgrade my brains memory capacity?  Or just stick to writing notes everywhere in my house.  Yeah, the note thing sounds better and less.....invasive.

Let me know if you do something similar or if Social Media takes over too much or your spare time.  Thanks for stopping by.

Toodles Noodles...........Lee x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Is anybody out there? Am I alone? Oh hey! There you are :)